Training with me is simple and enjoyable both for you and your dog. I use reward based methods, which are kind, effective and supported by animal learning theory and research.
My approach can be described as "dog-oriented teaching" as I emphasize the fact that not only dogs need to learn how to live in our society but also we should understand and respect their needs.
The sessions are held in your house and garden, and your local area (if needed to go for a walk on the lead around the neighbourhood, off lead walk into your local park or to your local café or pub).
We can meet regularly or have just one private session if that’s what is required.
- Choosing a dog – before you get a dog visit, consultation during which I will help you choose the right dog for your family, from choosing the breed and breeder/rescue centre to choosing and picking up the actual dog
- Preparing for the arrival of the new dog – I will come and help you prepare for the arrival of the new family member and set you up for the success to make sure you will start your journey together well
- New Dog Visits – for new dog owners, to help the dog settle down in the new home and make sure you get things right straight from the start; I will also consult you on all the issues you may already be having with your new friend, whether it is pulling on the lead, jumping up on visitors, not getting along with your current pet or separation anxiety
- Obedience training for puppies (all levels, from basic to advanced)
- Basic obedience training for dogs over 6 months of age who missed their puppy education (sit, down, stay, walking on a loose lead, recall)
- Intermediate obedience for dogs who already know the basics (heel, stand stay, leave, back, sending away, emergency stop and stay, commands on the distance etc)
- Advanced obedience for dogs of all ages (ideal for people who want to improve and perfect their dog’s performance in any given situation and teach them even more complicated tasks)
- Tailored training: if you and your dog are experiencing problems in a certain area of training, please get in touch and we will prepare an appropriate training program for you (most common problems are: poor recall, pulling on a leash, jumping up at people etc.).
- Behaviour consultations
The classes are available for dogs of minimum 6 months of age (for Puppy Training please have a look here). There is no upper limit. The classes are held indoors on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Sunday evenings. We are based in Pilton, Edinburgh (EH5).
Basic obedience classes:
- They are aimed at all dogs above 6 months of age who have missed their puppy education and need some basic training. During this 8 weeks course we will teach them 3 basic positions (sit, down, stand), stay, leave, drop, lead walking, recall, polite behaviour during feeding time, going to bed, good response to name and cover problematic behaviours like jumping up, ignoring the owner etc. These courses are held on Friday and Sunday evenings. To check the dates of the upcoming courses please go the News section. After this course you can either start the Level 2 Puppy Classes or The Kennel Club Good Citizen Bronze Level
The Kennel Club Good Citizen Bronze Level:
- It is an 8 weeks course that prepares you for the Good Citizen Bronze Award and will end with the assessment. You can find more information about the Good Citizen Dog Scheme on The Kennel Club website. Your dog has to know some basic commands to attend this course. If you haven’t trained with me before, we may need to meet for one private session so I can assess what your dog can do and teach you all the things that are needed to start this class. This course is held on Friday and Sunday evenings. For future dates please refer to the News section.
Intermediate and Advanced Obedience Classes:
- These are ongoing classes (held on Tuesday at 7:30 pm and Thursday at 7 pm) that you can join at any time, as soon as there is a place available. To attend one of these courses you need to graduate from my Level 2 Puppy Classes. We are practicing all the skills your dogs have learnt during the Puppy Classes, perfecting the well-known commands, learning new things and preparing for the Good Citizen Silver and Gold Level.
Trick/Clicker(shaping)/Body Awareness classes:
- This is a 4 weeks course held on Friday and Sunday evenings (please check the News page on the website to find the dates of the next classes). During these classes we will be teaching our dogs some useful and fun tricks, practice shaping techniques, play with Agility equipment, do a little bit of scent work and problem solving. All the exercises are designed to improve the handlers’ dog training skills and communication with the dog. Very bonding and enjoyable way of spending time together, to assure we don’t forget to keep the training fun!
Report available upon request.
You can check the prices of private sessions and group training here.
For more information and dates of upcoming courses please refer to the News section of the website.